polyExtrude


Experience:

  • Since 2004, when I started working on The Ant Bully, I have been involved with creating tools which procedurally generated environmental assets and toolsets which populate mass environments as well as toolsets which generate grass on a large scale.
  • Most of this work you will see here has been generated in Houdini and rendered through Maya or Houdini using RenderMan, Mantra, and Arnold.
  • The latest systems I have built are stored in a custom object database and are able to be rebuilt in Maya, Houdini, and Nuke.

Below are examples of Environments built using the systems I have worked on.


Here are examples of the grass and procedural population toolset I made for HouseSpecial.

This system drastically cut down on the time it would take for the team to generated an environment for a scene. The end results were deliverable scenes which provided a constant scene structure and drastically cut down build and load times for the scenes as well as storage space required when saving the scene data.

  • Dynamic asset joining (populate and swap out multiple assets with ease.)
  • Utilized different asset typs .ass, .ifd, .abc formats.
  • Storage of assets into an object based assembly system. This proved to be extremely fast for exporting and importing.
  • Rebuilding of assets in Maya / Houdini.
  • Optimization of render times through build methods when imported into lighting scenes.
  • Grass Generation.
  • Grass Exports for Arnold.
  • Assembly version control so that we could roll forward or back on publishes.


Below you wills see images of these toolsets in use.





















For Book of life I was responsible for:
  • Creating an accessory system which would allow artist to set dress assets and then populate the assets setdressing when loaded into the scene
  • Constructed an auto scene building system which would auto build lighters scenes
  • Constructed an auto culling system which would automatically cull any assets not scene by the camera.


Below you wills see images of these toolsets in use.

  • This first set of images shows a grave yard which was populated using the assessory system. Each unique grave had an assembly which would build on top of it. Each grave had hundreds of assets loading.




  • This set of images show examples of the houses in the film. All unique houses had a unique set dressing associated with them which would load with each building instance. Each building had plants set dressed on their roof top and in the windows as well as around the base of the building.



  • the flags were dynamically generated through out the film.


  • The land of the dead had hundreds of buildings with accessories attached as well as flag systems all over the place.





  • This sequence was particularly tough as each flower was an asset instance.



  • The tables were using an accessory system.

  • This system was extremely tough to build. Each wax mound was dressed with candles. This made for thousands upon thousands of assets being built out.




The procedural toolset I made for FreeBirds did several things.
  • Generated leaves for all of our trees (both broad leaf, and conifer trees).
  • Animated the trees.
  • Populated the trees, shrubs, small plants throughout the film.
  • Generated grass for the scenes.
  • Exported Grass for rendering.
  • Exported Environmental Assemblies for rendering.


Below you wills see images of these toolsets in use.






















  • Here is an example of the procedural population toolset I wrote being used to place fire simluations into a sequence.
  • I simulated these fires for this sequence as well.





  • Here is an example of the toolset being used to place character clips.

The procedural toolset I made for Open Season 3 was Houdini did several things.
  • Generated Leaves for trees to match style guides.
  • Populated assets.
  • Generated grass for the scenes.


Below you wills see images of these toolsets in use.






The procedural toolset I made for Open Season 2 was Maya based and did several things.
  • Generated Leaves for trees to match style guides.
  • Created Shrub and Small plant assets.
  • Populated assets.
  • Generated grass for the scenes.


Below you wills see images of these toolsets in use.









For The Ant Bully I created procedural tools for generating grass (macro and normal scale).
  • Generated Grass (Macro, Human Scale)
  • Procedurally created trees.


Below you wills see images of these toolsets in use.







  • Here is a system which created carpet. It auto culled carpet which fell under setdressed assets in the scene.